Thirty, Flirty and Thriving!

So, not sure how "flirty" I actually am... good thing two out of three ain't bad (I hate the word ain't)! This past week I turned 30 years old - really?!? - 30! I truly feel like moments ago I was just a wee tot myself (or at least in college) thinking that 30 was ancient. YIKES! But now that it is here, I can truly say I am really excited about what this next decade holds.... and to kick it off, I figured I would reflect on 30 (cheesy, I know) things in my life that I am truly thankful for:

1. My relationship with Jesus Christ - I am humbled that He has chosen me, saved me and is continuing a work in me.

2. My husband, BJ. No one (on this earth) loves me the way he does - he is truly my best friend and I am blessed to be his wife.

3. Eleanor and BR #2 - I LOVE MY KIDS. I love no one on earth the way that I do them - it is instinctive, undeniable and completely refining. The joy they bring to my life is indescribable (even without having met BR #2 yet... I love them).

4. My family - Mike, Dot, Benny, Katie and Kristen are a true joy to me... I feel so blessed to have been raised by parents who love the Lord and each other very authentically and for siblings that I enjoy.

5. My in-laws - they too, are a blessing in the way that they have embraced me as their own and the unselfish ways that they love Eleanor and BR #2.

6. My friends - I really think that it is rare that people finds friends as near and dear in their life, as I have. I am humbled when I think about the ways that my nearest and dearest love, encourage, support and challenge me.... much less the fun we have together. I am thankful that friendships that began in junior high, high school and college are still just as important and a blessing to me to this day... regardless if distance or time comes between them some times. My friends mean everything to me.

7. My house - ya ya though it is not decorated the way I wish, there are a few things I would change and rooms that could be added... I am humbled that the Lord has given BJ and I a beautiful house to live in... it is warm, safe and more than we need (though I like to complain and act like I need more).

8. My car - sure I miss "The Great White" (the best car I ever owned and probably will ever own) but am thankful for my Tahoe... it is safe, big and runs great although there are a lot of miles on that sucker.... here is to hoping it lasts and lasts and lasts.

9. Being a stay-at-home-momma - so this is new, but I am incredibly humbled that as of now, the Lord has provided a way for me to stay home with our kids. It is a dream come true, merely because I can't get enough of our kids and pray that I can be their primary care-giver during the work day for years to come.

10. The Lord's provision - a lesson I am learning, but that He knows exactly WHAT we need and WHEN we need it. He alone is our provider and has been CONSTANT to BJ and I throughout our entire marriage, though my forgetful and fearful heart worries way too much about it.

11. Our church - we are approaching the first anniversary of The Door Church, where BJ and I are blessed to call our church home... I am thankful that we are challenged there, that the Gospel is the only message preached and for the community we have found. Knowing that we are partnering alongside of some amazing families in this community is exciting.

12. Freedom - I know I often take for granted the fact that we live in America, but knowing there are people groups being persecuted around the world for various reasons breaks my heart and makes me extremely grateful for America.

13. Music - literally, my favorite. Could be Keane, Eleanor singing herself to sleep or worship... I love music.

14. Epidurals - seeing as I am a few days away from receiving one, I am obviously very grateful for this and modern medicine, in general. Pretty incredible what doctors and medicine can do... so grateful that people are talented in this arena and use it to serve others.

15. My Health - We are kind of getting out of order now, but I am extremely grateful for my health... I have put my body through the ringer the past 30 years and honestly, I have found it to be quite resilient.

16. BJ's Health - Very blessed that I have a husband who is physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually healthy.

17. Our Children's Health - It isn't uncommon that you hear stories of babies / kids who struggle small to some really large sicknesses.... we are blessed that to-date Eleanor has really only been "sick" with an ear infection and cold once. My heart breaks when I hear of families who have kids with terminal illnesses - my soul grieves for such kids and families.

18. Sunny / Cool Fall days - I basically wish that I could live in San Diego, because their year round temperature is my favorite.

19. Rainy / Cool Fall days - I also love Seattle, and love days that I can cozy up with a cup of coffee, my kiddos and a movie while hearing rain on the roof.

20. Weddings - I have thoroughly enjoyed my job over the past 4 years.... it made "working" a pleasure and being part of a bride, groom and their families special day more than rewarding. I also am blessed by the experiences and relationships it afforded me... have stayed in some great hotels, eaten at some pretty fabulous restaurants and been challenged to push myself!

21. Our small group - we LOVE our community group through our church... our weekly gatherings are definitely a highlight to my week and I always leave encouraged and filled.

22. Naps - whether for Eleanor or for me... definitely a favorite time of my day.

23. Scriptures - knowing that I have the living Word of God at my fingertips every day is exciting and challenging... reading passages for the 100th time and it feeling like the first because of the depth of His Word is just phenomenal.

24. Pictures / Videos - I am so thankful for modern technology and for the thousands of pictures I have to document our family already.... pictures and videos of my kids (right now) are my most prized possession.

25. Breakfast - I love a good breakfast.... like pumpkin pancakes, blueberry waffles, the occasional donuts... and I love that BJ does too... so I love our weekend breakfast traditions on either a Saturday or Sunday morning.

25. Wine - I love me a good, spicy glass of red wine and can't wait to enjoy some here in the next few weeks after we figure out our nursing schedule!

26. Lessons Learned - although humbling and often met with restraint, I am grateful for the people in my life that sharpen and challenge me, call me out on my sin and when I am humble enough to admit my error and learn from it. Feels good when I actually embrace the fact that I am not perfect and have a lot of areas that need reproof.

27. Branson, Mo - Yep. I am thankful for that place.... for over half of my life I spent every summer there at kamp and have a genuine love for the memories made there at kamp and at the Insitute. I also love that BJ loves it too... and that hopefully our kids will be able to experience it (not so much Branson, as kamp).

28. Blogs - I so enjoy reading people's blogs (some of them I completely creep on because they have no clue who I am probably) and I love blogging. Not necessarily for anyone to read, but so that the memories, feelings and updates our little family has are recorded somewhere.

29. Holidays - I have the fondest memories of holidays growing up... I literally looked forward to every single one because something great was always in store (specifically loved Thanksgiving and Christmas because they were spent in San Antonio at my Mimi and Dardo's houses with tons of cousins). I want to make the holidays so special for our kids so that they have as much excitement for them as I did / still do!

30. Traveling - If BJ and I ever make a lot of money, really the only thing I can imagine wanting to splurge on is travel. I am SO thankful that growing up I had the opportunity to literally travel all over the world and there is nothing I enjoy more. Weather it be for education or relaxation, I LOVE to travel and am thankful for the places I have already experienced.

So ya, those are not all-inclusive (obviously) and are not in any particular order.... but I really have just been so blessed in my first 30 years here on this earth. Thank you, Lord, for each day you have given me... and thank you for knowing what the rest of my days hold. I choose to trust your plan and provision for all that is next - not forgetting all that I have already learned along the way.

Comments

Kim said…
Love this, Karen! Hope you had a great 30th and are gearing up to meet your 2nd little one soon! Can't wait to hear the news!
The Clark's said…
Hope you had a wonderful birthday! Can't wait to hear who BR#2 is!! I also wanted to tell you that I saw that your church is part of the Acts 29 ministry. We have been going to an Acts 29 church in Houston for the last 4 years! We absolutely love the importance of the Truth being taught every week and living life in community with those around us. Definitely a blessing! Will be praying for you on Friday.

Popular posts from this blog

Cheerleading Tryouts

The Sister of Honor...

Crowdsourced Group Gift Guide 2020