Like Father, Like Daughter...

So there have been some recent happenings that have confirmed overwhelmingly that I am my father's daughter. For the most part, I truly am blessed to say that I take after him... I mean:

1. He did pass his name on to me... - James Michael Gross / Karen Michael Rector
2. We both have a ridiculous sense of humor... meaning he tells awful jokes and I laugh.
3. We both are probably the loudest people you will ever meet... if you are in a room with both of us, watch out (that really goes for my brother Ben and sister Katie, too).
4. We both have a personal, passionate relationship with Christ... I can honestly say mine has been greatly shaped by the pursuit I have observed my dad, and mom, have towards the Lord.
5. We are both cheap... now I don't mean cheap in a negative way at all. I mean that we both really enjoy managing money, SAVING it for bigger purchases rather that spending it frivolously on "junk" we probably don't need (I have my mom to spoil me for those things!).
6. We are people's people... we both have a genuine love for getting to know people's hearts.

*Mike practicing letting me go at BJ & my wedding rehearsal

Most of my adolescence, I was told by Ben and Katie that I was a brown-noser.... doing the things I did to gain the affections, and favoritism, of my parents. NOT TRUE. I am just really blessed to have parents that I actually really love and want to hang out with...

But Dad, I am going to be honest... this past weekend I did something SO IRRATIONAL, SO INEXCUSABLE, SO NOT-KAREN... that I blame you:

BJ and I stopped at Costco on Sunday afternoon to pick up the beef tenderloin we were going to have at our Valentine's Dinner at the Rives. Dinner was to begin at 6:00pm and so we stopped to grab our large piece of meat around 4:00pm... we are in line at Costco and MUCH to my dismay I see a very large sign advertising something I HAD to have. Pregnancy obsession begins...

*If this was not ALL BEEF, I would have passed.

REALLY??? I stood for a minute trying to reroute my thoughts... I mean, we were heading to a fabulous dinner with friends; I couldn't possibly; Karen, you don't even LIKE those... but regardless, I couldn't get it out of my mind. BJ laughed as I made my way to the line, ordered my perfect hot dog with ketchup, mustard, relish and a lemonade. I ate every last bite. Needless to say: I missed out on the tenderloin at our dinner.

But Dad... I blame you. It is YOU that constantly suggests Costco hot dogs for dinner, YOU that gets a hot dog and soda every time we are there, YOU that while at home will make hot dogs for dinner when mom is creating a lovely meal and YOU that would never pass up a $1.50 deal like this. But Dad... I thank you. That was the best hot dog I have ever had in my life.

Comments

Mindy Rives said…
Little do you know....that hot dog was not all beef. What do you think they can sell it for a $1.50? Come on...I know you've got prego brain, but use some of your marketing skills...or general common sense. Just say it...YOU LOVE PORK!!!
Jenna said…
Yikes. I'm pretty sure Mindy is right. You couldn't get enough of the other white meat in New Orleans... until you cried about it. Hooray for having something else for you and Mike to bond over!!

And p.s.- tell Mike I say hi. And Dot. I miss them.

Popular posts from this blog

Cheerleading Tryouts

The Sister of Honor...

Crowdsourced Group Gift Guide 2020