Tripper Boy Goes to Kinder

Last year I sobbed and sobbed through sentences as I prepared for Eleanor to start Kindergarten.... and exactly one year later, here I am again, prepping to send my baby boy to school. Its funny, because I am not as emotional as I was last year {yet...} but I am exponentially more excited to see what all this year holds in store for my Tripper.

Buddy, since the day you were born you have lived up to your name... in every way. You really are the strong-willed warrior (William) that we prayed you would be. Sometimes, I wish it wasn't as heavily weighted on the "strong-willed" portion, but you know what, I don't really mean that. Because here is what I see in you.... someone who is so convicted of his desires that literally neither hell or high water will keep you from accomplishing or getting what you want. Currently, this makes parenting you VERY hard. But it makes the duty of shepherding your heart incredibly exciting.... because what greater prayer could we have for you than that as you grow, that you would be unshakable. As you mature, I pray that you continue to know who you are, what stirs your heart, what matters greatly to you and defend your position. That you would be a leader, a servant, a protector, coachable, and humble enough to admit that you don't know it all and that you have more to learn and that in your life, God will increase (Joseph).

So as I'm looking back questioning how we are already to the point that you are entering this next chapter of life, I'll be honest... I think you and I are more ready than I figured I would admit. For the first 22 months of your life, it was you and me. Sure Eleanor and daddy were in the picture, but I was your everything for those first two years. Sometimes, I would give anything to go back to those precious moments when you snuggled up on my chest (I can remember the smells and the warmth SO WELL)... oh those days and nights where you just needed to be cuddled... I loved them. But then, remember the time you were 18 months old and climbed out of your crib (while in a sleep sack?).... ya, really and truly, since then.... you've proven to be that strong-willed warrior boy. You spent most of your younger years roaring instead of talking, fighting sleep instead of sleeping, in my bed instead of your own, calling battle cries to a fake army, imagining your right fist to be a character in your own little world, running 100mph in a 50mph world.... basically, you are all boy. You are all warrior.

But Tripper, you are also the most loving, sensitive, nurturing boy. Your rough and tumble exterior can't hide your soft heart for long.... you are a snuggler, a kisser, a cuddler.... you are loyal, imaginative, loving and strong. You've got a joyful heart, a curious spirit, determination to learn and my heart swells when I think of what you will accomplish in your first year of school. I can't wait to watch your math facts explode (you are already SO good at math!), listen to you read, celebrate you memorizing the Bible timeline, make new friends, practice self-control under the leadership of a new teacher, grow in respect as you learn to consider others as more important than yourself..... I am praying this is a banner year for you, buddy.

I am already dreading the day where you learn the correct way to say the letters R and L. I know its coming for me this year, but your precious, raspy voice won't last forever and it tears me up. So you'll grow and you'll learn new things and you'll definitely transform into a big boy... but you'll always be my baby. As this next chapter begins, of course I want to hold tightly to my babies and wish I could keep you little forever... but Tripper boy, I can't wait to see the big boy you will become.  I pray that for years and years when I tell you that you are my boy that you will respond by telling me that I am your girl. I pray that (even though its an odd one) you keep calling me your "squishy mama". I pray you keep initiating kisses and snuggles. I pray that you keep your imagination and your creativity  - and that they swell. I pray you have a love for learning and for new challenges. I pray you fall in love with Jesus and that you let him change your heart, making you a new creation. I pray that as you go, you take others with you.... that you lead well, protect people's hearts, include those that others may look over or ignore, defend what is good and right, and pursue peace. Praying this today, and every day, over your sweet life.... William Joseph... "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

You are a warrior, Tripper boy. You were meant to fight for what is right... what is good... whatever is praise-worthy. Kindergarten, you are getting my baby boy this year. The boy that I know can change the world - and I can't wait to have a front row seat as Tripper soars. I love you, boo boo... you are my best boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheerleading Tryouts

The Sister of Honor...

Crowdsourced Group Gift Guide 2020