Subject to Rebellion

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. (Romans 12:1)

If there is a downfall in my life that I'd love to put to death, this is it. This begins three chapters (Rom. 12-15) of Paul discussing what and why we are to consider our rights far below the rights of others and the obligation we have to the Lord. This, I truly believe, is the message no one wants preached. This aspect of the gospel is one that is so joyful in doing, being led by the Holy Spirit, yet so painful when a believer is mired in flesh, satan and worldliness. 

Let love be without hypocrisy...cling to what is good.

Bless those who persecute you, bless and do not curse.

Paul is directing all attention straight at Jesus. These are Jesus' words to the crowd, and His disciples, from the 'sermon on the mount'. In a sense, Paul is reminding the brethren in Rome that Jesus taught this to lots of people. Some followers didn't understand yet what persecution would come, and others left as various difficulties arose. A very practical application, for this principle of the living Gospel, was befalling the Xians of the early church. The reign of God had yet to change all things and make life easy for the Church. Thus, Romans 13-15 reminds adequately that submission of the the believer to government, other believers communally and other believers church wide would be a sort of pronouncement of God's reign in their lives. This still is the battle within the body of X.  

But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God...so then each one of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this - not to put an obstacle or stumbling block in a brother's way. (v. 14:10,12-13)

Therefore, accept one another, just as X also accepted us to the glory of God. (v.15:7)

Corporately without beginning or end, Paul admonishes us all that we are not here for our rights. I am not a Xian to get into heaven and be merely chosen of God. I have a daily responsibility to decrease that He might increase. This is the most difficult role any person anywhere could ever be chosen to carry out. Becoming less, considering others before myself and lifting up X are what Xianity is all about. This is why we were saved, practically. God gets glory and is not robbed of anything. So as I understand my participation in God's glory, I must be decreasing, bowing low and submitting. This causes my flesh, Satan and worldliness to leap in rebellion. I have learned this as a principle long ago, yet my knowledge fars exceeds my obedience, to my discredit. Studying this during the past week or so I have been very convicted to return to foundational application of truth. Theology rightly understood results in worship. There is no middle ground. We exists to submit to God, humbly participating in His desire to save all by the sole means of faith in X alone.

For even X did not please Himself; but as it is written, 'The reproaches of those who reproached You fell on me.' For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 

 

Comments

Lynn said…
yes, the day to day struggle to crucify our flesh, put it to death and always, always put others above ourselves. i remember the day JESUS told me, "you don't have a right to your feelings..."
whoa, i stopped in my tracks, and suddenly realized YOU are right LORD, YOU are always right. i had been cursing an "enemy" and did HE ever humble me, THANK GOD! i was told to give one of my favorite posessions to this enemy. come to find out she had always in her heart wanted one of these and could never afford it. i told her, JESUS loves you more than you could ever know and this gift is from HIM, HE told me to give it to you. HE knows your heart. i hope she has since given her heart to HIM.
just a few days ago i was confessing the rebellion in my heart and crying out for HIM to come and cleanse me. ahhh, what a relief to be able to RUN to HIM when i have messed up and throw myself at HIS feet knowing i'll be covered in HIS precious blood and all will be right with my world again. what a LOVE.......

Popular posts from this blog

Cheerleading Tryouts

The Sister of Honor...

Crowdsourced Group Gift Guide 2020