Eleanor :: One Month Old

Where has the time gone? I absolutely cannot believe that Eleanor is one month old today... this past month has been, no doubt, the fastest, most amazing month of my life to date. I am so overwhelmingly humbled by God's gracious gift of Eleanor to BJ and I... we are just amazed everyday with how much we love our little lady and how quickly she is growing. I have already been through my tears, even though I love watching her grow, I just really didn't know it would fly by so quickly. I feel like I blinked and all of the sudden she is a month old - it is days like today where I wish time could slow down for just a minute!!
Eleanor you had a WONDERFUL first month of life filled with so many memories, I just hope I can adequately recount the FUN and JOY you brought your daddy and I:

*Staying in the hospital 4 nights with you was so fun.... everyone encouraged me over and again to let the nursery keep you during the nights so that daddy and I could get some sleep... foolishness! I was able to let the nursery take you one night, but after that, I just couldn't be parted from you. I slept the best I have in awhile (especially following pregnancy!) because you were with me. In fact, you slept on my chest every night.... snuggling with you is my very favorite thing in the whole world.*You had SO many visitors come to the hospital to see you... everyone just couldn't wait to meet you - visitors included family, family friends, high school friends, college friends, co-workers... you had about 45 visitors in all - it was such a blessing to your daddy and I!

*We came home 5 days after you were born (you weighed 7lbs, 3 oz)- and that is the first time daddy and I finally felt like you are ours... we don't have to give you back! We have the privilege of watching you grow and being a part of your life from this day forward - what a joy!

*Your Grandma Dot-Dot packed her bags and planned on moving in with daddy and I for about a week to help around the house... she had gone to the grocery store, cooked meals, did laundry, etc... such a help! In fact, Grandpa Mike, Grandpa Bill and Grandma Donna helped too.... between visits, grocery runs and cooking as a family, your first few days at home were filled with family time!

*The first night you were home, you slept 4 hours straight... and it scared your momma! I thought newborns were supposed to wake up every 2-3 hours! The second night, you slept 5 hours... again, scaring your momma!! The third night, you slept 5.5 hours.... and Grandma Dot decided she did not need to spend the night anymore, because we never once woke her up!

*We went to the doctor one week after you were born and you had already gained back all of your weight.. and then some (7lbs, 12oz)! So, Doctor Neely told us to let you sleep... you will let us know when you were hungry! That night, you slept over 6 hours (and you have been a dream baby ever since, thank you for letting momma and daddy sleep - you spoil us!!).

*Since it is so hot outside, we take you to walk the malls quite a bit (we keep you completely covered in your carseat so that no one will touch you, or even breathe on you!). We have officially walked every mall in Dallas... Momma needs her exercise!

*When you were 2 weeks old, we took you to church... you slept the entire time!*When you were 3 weeks old, we took you back to church... you did NOT sleep the entire time and momma had quite the experience in the nursing mothers room... trying to nurse you in a dress, with no boppy and about 6 other mothers in the room... lets just admit that was hilarious, embarrassing and a little overwhelming!*You love bath-time... sure, you screamed your head off the first time we bathed you, but ever since you sit there and watch us so intently the entire time.... towards the end your bottom lip begins to quiver because you are getting cold, but I have to admit, it is so cute. It seems that about every other time we bathe you, as soon as we wrap you in your towel you decide it is time to go potty... we always laugh because you look at us so innocently as you go, but I think you know what you are doing... you just want another bath!*You had your 2-week doctor appointment and again, you did fabulous. You weighed 8lbs, 60z... so little lady, you are a good eater!*You started taking a pacifier at 2.5 weeks.... you look so cute when you are sucking on it. It normally works to keep you happy, but it is always funny to me when you suck on it for awhile and then figure out nothing is coming out... so you spit is out and start crying... cue momma.*You never cry... in fact, you only cry when you have a tummy ache, so daddy and I hate hearing you cry because we know you are hurting and we have no clue how to help. Luckily, we have only really heard you CRY about 3-4 times... sure you may let out a cry when you are hungry during the day, but you never cry!*You sleep in your bassinet in Momma and Daddy's Room, when you wake up you don't cry, you just make cooing noises...*You have LONG fingernails, so even though we cut them often, you typically wear mittens because we don't want you to scratch your face...*You love to lay completely stretched out.... either your hands completely up or behind your head like you are laying on the beach... it is TOO much!
*Every morning you pop into bed with daddy and I after you eat... normally we take another cat nap (except daddy heads to work) and we just snuggle!
*You laughed for the first time.... SUCH a sweet sound!


*You have officially puked and peed on momma, and you took your first poop on your Grandpa Mike, too funny!*You have started to recognize daddy and I's voices.... when we talk to you, your eyes look at us, your head turns and sometimes you laugh! You have really started cooing and acting excited when we talk to you.... little things like that make our day.

*You purse your lips JUST LIKE YOUR DADDY... I call it a duck face for lack of a better term, but basically your close your lips together and push them out like a duck... it is so stinking cute.

*You love looking at us from the corners of your eye... especially when we are changing your diaper. You keep your head faced forward, but then you stare us down with your eyes, all while pursing your lips. I literally laugh out loud every time you do this.

*I feel like you are getting SO big... the best compliment I hear from people (other than how wonderful you are) is how small they think you are... don't grow up too fast, promise?

*When you are really excited (or trying to go to the potty) your legs move up and down like crazy (I remember this feeling in my stomach when you were inside!) and your arms come up like a conductor or a cheerleader... it is just too funny.*You have great control of your head... you hold it up all the time and when we are snuggling you sometimes lift up to try looking momma in the face!

*You still have a full head of black hair, big blue eyes and a face that melts your momma and daddy's hearts.

This really was the fastest month of our lives, we can't believe you were born a month ago, Eleanor! At the same time, it also feels like we have had you forever... and we don't even want to think about what it was like without you here... you have enriched our lives SO much. Daddy says it best.... why did we wait so long to have you? You are our greatest joy... we celebrate YOU today, little girl. WE LOVE YOU!!

Comments

Sarah said…
Happy 1 Month Eleanor!! I am sure you get this all the time but she is absolutely gorgeous! Her little face is just precious.
Haley Payne said…
Karen, you write THE sweetest, most beautiful things to/about Eleanor. I tear up every time I read your blog. Eleanor has SUCH a wonderful momma. :)
the blogivers said…
Love all the pictures and love the owl pillow! Watch out - she might grow up to pledge Chi O ;)
Kim said…
Love this post and love that sweet, beautiful girl!! I started Grace's 8 month post a few days ago and started writing it "to" her also... it seems so much more special that way! After reading these sweet words I'm totally tearing up!! You are one amazing mama!!
Lynn said…
i am so grateful to you for this blog, I know how much work it is, but it makes me feel like I haven't missed as much as I really have!! the whole time i was reading i was going "awwwwwwwwwwwww", not kidding, the whole time!!
luv & shalom & GOD BLESS ~ aunt lynn
Mama Fee said…
Hi! I have been following your blog for sometime now and instead of being a creepy stalker, I thought I would say hello and share my blog with you! I am currently 4 days overdue with my first baby girl and I am looking to connect with some mamas! I look forward to reading more on your lovely blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheerleading Tryouts

The Sister of Honor...

Crowdsourced Group Gift Guide 2020