A Starbucks Surprise

"Ah, now I can dig into this new book about major bible themes."

The book is not actually new, it is old. I have read most of it, at least once. Until this morning at Starbucks the orthodoxy was simply printed in new times roman on creased manila pages.

It's not like I've never had an encounter with the Holy Spirit, that's the weird indwelling presence of God, just in case you're not a christian reader. But when the visible presence of the Lord appears in human need, appointed conversation or some other personal way it leaves what I'd call an indelible mark. It was kind of like my day was stained with this encounter. (Keep in mind I have a gift for the dramatic along with with being a great embellish-er.)

Chapter 2 - The Bible: Inspired of God
As I approached the plenary/verbal theory regarding how the Bible was inspired by God. Highlighting sentences along the way which contained great little nuggets, a note was dropped on the tan round little table I occupied.

"GOD BLESS YOU I need help! ...diapers, formula...."

As my head turned a dark skinned lady draped in a dark robe like shirt with a noticeable wound or mark on her upper lip stood. Black hair pulled back and a bottle in her arms. "Possibly to enhance the effect of the note", my cynical mind remarked. Then she uttered in broken English can you help me.

Well... crap!

Now I have to turn from reading grand teachings of theories how our holy book was inspired by God. A proverbial fork in my theological road. Recalling memories of this morning's surprise makes me think of those who endure much more tragic lives than I. If you think about it, and we don't have to think to hard, all kinds of recent tragedy has shocked us. Just a few years back a tsunami hits the western Asian islands, ravaging floods and mudslides in Mexico, unheralded earthquakes in India. As well merely some 80+ hours ago the tiny island home of Dominican and Haitian peoples was shaken into world news.

Those things are still so far away from me. But today the lady in tattered clothes from Bosnia was at my table in Starbucks.

"Formula, diapers..." I do not know, or care actually, if she had a real need for what the local CVS provided us. I reasoned that, since she asked, my only call in the moment was yes or no. Funny I recall so vividly because when she tested my resolve to give not only "my shirt, but my coat also" I felt the pull of obligation. Not super spiritual. I didn't even feel great or proud. None of those is at all why I wanted to share this morning's surprise. I believe that in doing what I did I could have been entertaining angels, doing unto the least as I would do to Jesus himself or even helping the poor, orphans or widows as my true religion would demand. But really it was just obedience. Which if you know me at all is not my strong suit.

My Starbucks surprise turned out to be the active God, who sought me, asking me to be obedient. Sometimes it is easy to over-spiritualize situations or sermons. I hope that I please the Lord. Man is just the gravy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheerleading Tryouts

The Sister of Honor...

Crowdsourced Group Gift Guide 2020