My Best Man

Well Dad this is to you. You are the best man in my wedding. I love you.

My dad grew up as one of eleven kids, so he knows a lot about a lot of things. You can not be 1 of 11 and not figure out how to survive, how to compromise and how to be a good leader or follower. My dad has taught me all of the above. Sometimes he meant to teach those things, but sometimes he did not.

I remember one time I got in trouble and had to write sentences about something. After I finished most of them he sat down and talked to me and told me about manners and stuff. The only thing I took away from that whole "lesson" was, "you look people in the eye when they are addressing you." And so I do. Rather, I try. Another time we were at a tree job, dad worked his own tree business for a little while, and the lady [customer] came out and said she wanted all the saw dust cleaned up because she was allergic. I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I had heard, that day. But dad looked at me after a lot of raking and watering the stuff away and said, "always leave a place cleaner than you found it." My thoughts were do really good work and people won't care as long as the job was done well. Not enough apparently. So now I have miles of raking under my belt.

These are the type of qualities that us kids remember, and they last a lifetime. Well at least 30 years. My dad is the hardest worker, best relaxer, greatest encourager, most compromising and most loyal man I have ever know. Those are a few reasons why I love him like I do. And he loved his dad like that too. It must run in the family...boy I sure hope so!

love you dad,
me!

Comments

Grandma Rector said…
I love you too! You are very special to me. Love Dad
Kim said…
ok, i've been patient, but i'm gonna get pushy now...we need some honeymoon/life with the rectors pictures! this blog can't come to a halt just because you guys tied the knot!! :)
Mindy Rives said…
Come on Rectors....update your dang blog. Now.

Popular posts from this blog

Cheerleading Tryouts

The Sister of Honor...

Crowdsourced Group Gift Guide 2020