That's what she said...

So after months of searching through designs, styles and prices, I finally found the perfect ring.

Let me back up a moment to let you in on the anguish and thought that preceeded this wonderful afternoon. Several months before, I had talked to Mike (Karen's dad) and gotten what seemed to be the final blessing and go ahead. Then, I threw a golf club and was "urged" to slow things down, make a plan and then move forward. Now, you only need to know this so that you too can appreciate the whole engagement story from my point of view.


Jumping ahead, Dot (Karen's mom) and I ended up at the ring place making what came to be the last look. We found this gorgeous, unique band that needed just a little polish. At the same time the band was sent back to get a shine I looked at another solitaire, round, brilliant diamond. Only this time I saw it. Now, I am not an expert but by this point I was able to see some of the flaws or lack thereof in the stones I had formerly inspected in my search. This time, as our jeweler unfolded the white paper and jostled the parchment "it" fell out like all the others and landed ready for me to inspect and say, "oh nice..." just like all the rest. However, this one literally popped out and grabbed my eye as I held the monocluar up to peer at its beauty.

When I knew I was close to popping the question, I started getting some things together from her friends that would be special to her. Each week I would get a letter from a friend, mom or cousin that was written to Karen to tell her how much she meant and what a fabulous person she is to them. While these letters continued coming in the hard part was just beginning. Figuring out what, where and how the actual proposal would happen was a little difficult for me, to be honest. I use all my creative juices up easily and valentines day for me still lingered. So I decided to do what was unique to us, special for her and easy to tell others about later. Not really, but kinda...

The Diamond was simply stunning. Tons of pressure on a peice of coal, that sticks to its job, turns out a magnificent symbol of affection.
Tweezers in hand, diamond in view, I was really impressed with this rock. When the band returned from cleaning, we were trying to imagine the final product. Then it happened. As the diamond was held over the ring, I was told to envision what it would look like in a ring made for its size. Then magestically the diamond fell, right into place. I literally gasped as it fit the band perfectly. The first stone I loved, set gracefully into the perfect setting. I can remember the moment like it was just today.

It's your turn to imagine... The ring is a bezzeled setting, which I'd never seen. The design around the solitaire is like no other ring. There is an encircling ring of tiny diamonds, to enhance sparkle, on the platform around the center stone. Down the band and around the base of the platform there is a leaf-like engraving with three diamonds on each side.

The day finally here and all the letters ready in my backpack, I grab the ring box out from under my socks. She is on her way home from work and I've told her we are going to have a date night. Now at home waiting for her arrival, I am getting a bit anxious to get this thing done. After hesitating about doing it a different night, the clouds part and the Lord reveals, "this is the way, walk in it!" I follow the cues of blue skies and beaming sunshine, deciding for sure I am doing this today! She pulls up with stuff for me to do. "Does she not know I have plans for us?" While I unload her stuff and tell her to hurry she gets a bratty attitude and wonders aloud, "What are we doing, I want to go eat dinner." The plot thickens...

I am taking her to a little park that I spent time at earlier that day praying and thinking about this huge moment. We pull up with blanket in tote, contrary to her belief, and get cozy. I start rambling about life and my worth to the Lord and how I am not competing against wealth or fame. This is mostly what is on my heart, but also because I had no segway to a proposal. Finally after fumbling through several thoughts I hand her a white envelope. Inside contains a note I wrote that day and four 3x5 other cards I'd written notes on starting back in 2001. As she reads the 3x5 cards we laugh... and she doesn't get it yet. Some are romantic, some cheesy, and she thinks I am just showing her some stuff I found. All the notes are titled "To My Future Wife..."

The last note, the one I'd written that day, was entitled "To My Future Wife, Karen"... To make this long story shorter, let me get through the next 30 minutes in a few sentences. There was sobbing. Sobbing, not crying. Some sort of proposal was uttered and accepted. We kissed and hugged and sat, talking more. After eating dinner, calling family and celebrating with friends we left each other our first night as fiance' and fiancee'.

I love our story...That's what she said!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Karen!, what an absolutely stunning ring on your hand. Good job, BJ.
I just caught the ending of Pretty Woman and it is sooo romantic it made me think of you two; a beautiful lady (you look like Julia a little)and I think Richard Geer(sp?) is so handsome in that movie, I thought I'd write and say I was thinking of you both and then to my surprise a new blog. I'm sitting here with tears and laughter in how GOOD God is!!! I love your love story. Keep sharing, please...
Anonymous said…
BJ and Karen ~ What a great blog, thanks for sharing! I just wanted to congratulate you on your engagement and I am so happy for you both. BJ, I can't wait to meet Karen, I have heard such wonderful things. Good luck and God bless you both.
Misty Bridgman said…
BJ! WOW! I am soo happy for you, I have heard rumor you were getting married, but today I received the card in the mail, so now I know it is no rumor. You and Karen look like such a happy couple. Karen, I can't wait to meet you! Such a lucky women... You guys are very creative with your blogspot. I love it! I will definitely see you at the wedding. Congrats!! Good luck!!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheerleading Tryouts

The Sister of Honor...

Crowdsourced Group Gift Guide 2020